http://www.arabnews.com/?page=13&section=0&article=124502&d=13&m=7&y=2009&pix=kingdom.jpg&category=Local
 Press

Monday 13 July 2009 (20 Rajab 1430)

There must be exemptions
Khaled Al-Sulaiman | Okaz

When a job is Saudized, it means that a foreigner has vacated his position in
favor of a Saudi. The foreigner will return home and that is it. However, there
is a group of foreigners who cannot go back home because they did not come from
their homes looking for jobs here. I mean those who were born and brought up in
this country. Although they are not Saudi nationals, they do not know any other
home except the Kingdom.

When these groups of people lose their jobs because of Saudization, where will
they go? How will they earn a living and support their families? Is it not
possible to exempt from the Saudization process those who were born in the
Kingdom, have lived on Saudi soil for many years and do not know any other
home? Is it fair to equate a foreigner who comes from abroad on a work contract
and who will return home after the termination of his contract with a foreigner
who was born and brought up in the Kingdom like his father and grandfather and
who does not know any other home? He lives like Saudis, speaks Arabic with a
Saudi accent, assumes Saudi traditions, wears Saudi clothes and eats like
Saudis.

I am looking at the issue from a humanitarian point of view. I have no doubt
that Labor Minister Ghazi Al-Gosaibi might have a better understanding of this
issue. By Saudizing the jobs of foreigners who were born and raised inside the
Kingdom, we are depriving their families of a decent living. We will be sending
them to the unknown when we force them out of their jobs under the banner of
Saudization.