Graham,

I think you do have to change the defaults for mpeg2video encoding to get any output. I agreed that setting the fixed bitrate should work. Fixed quantization doesn't seem to work.

jim scott wrote:

> I don't think that's the case. There are two ways to produce DVD
> compatible MPEG-2 output through Cinelerra. The easiest way is the
> mpeg2enc plugin. If you copied the mpeg2enc binary from /usr/bin to
> /usr/lib/cinelerra, you're almost there. You need to make sure that
> the file is named mpeg2enc.plugin in the cinelerra directory. If that
> doesn't work, try posting the exact error message you are getting.

The method you mention Jim worked for me.  I have found the default
Cinelerra settings for MPEG-2 at fault however.
Settings which work for me in producing DVD which will play well on my
TV are:

YUV 4:2:0
Generic MPEG-2
MPEG-2
10000 fixed bitrate
Quantization 12 (an unused setting)
I frame distance 45
P frame distance 0
The field flag depends on your source material
Progressive frames will generally be unchecked
The denoiser works but is optional
I don't check "Sequence start codes in every GOP"

I seem to remember that some really logical choices like "Format Preset:
DVD" led to render errors.  For me the options given above worked and I
generally only fiddle with the Bitrate.

Of course you will need to render your audio seperately and then mplex
the streams together.  There is plenty of information around on how to
do this.

good luck

Graham E.