On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 17:20:26 +0200, Raffaella Traniello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

  Fading and amplification are typically separate knobs or levers:
the amplification setting is usually called "gain".  Cinelerra has
a gain effect that you can attach to audio tracks.

I've tried it. It starts at 0 and can gain up to 40. Since there are
also negative values, it can fade down to -40.

Since the fader goes above the unity level and the gainer goes under it,
they don't appare so separated to me. Why is better to keep them
independent?

 Good question.  An audio professional could explain why this makes
perfect sense.  My explanation may be a little naive and inaccurate...

 With analog sound sources, the inputs sources don't fall neatly into
one usable range.  There are microphones with faint signals and other
devices with much stronger signals.  The gain would be set so that a
fader setting close to max would give a suitable sound level.

--
Herman Robak