On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 04:28 +0100, Terje J. Hanssen wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> To introduce myself, I'm a newbie on Cinelerra and NLE, and I have a lot
> to learn and ask about.

 Velkommen!

>  The latest years my interest lays
> on Linux, and I'm now ready to start a serious attempt with video
> capturing and editing using Linux and Cinelerra. As I also have jumped
> over the whole DV camcording generation, I'm now also faced to jump
> directly to provide a new HDV camcorder.

 HDV can be made to work nicely, if you have a fast computer.

> The first file fx7.m2t was reported wasn't recognized by Cinelerra, the
> second file fx7.mpg was apparantly loaded, I think.

 Cinelerra inspects the file extension, and recognises .mpg and .mpeg.
It can handle .m2t files nicely, if only the file name ends with .mpg
or .mpeg.  Use "mv" to rename the file, or create a symbolic link to
it.

 If you want some hand-holding wrt capturing HDV over firewire
on Linux, just ask! :-)  (I have an HDV camera, too)

Committers: If I recall correctly, a patch was submitted recently
to recognise the .m2t extension.  Has that been merged in by now?

--
 Herman Robak