On Sun, 2007-07-01 at 18:10 +0200, Stefan de Konink wrote:

> "Time is always against us" ;)

Absolutely. Caligari contains about 110000 frames.   A single-frame
restoration would take, well, a *long* time, a lot of man-hours, and a
lot of money!  I'm sure you can do the math ... *no* classic silent film
that I'm aware of has been subject to a single-frame restoration to
date ... restorations to date have been taken directly from 2" video
masters.

Transit Films/FW Murnau-Stiftung in Germany are working on a definitive
single-frame restoration of Caligari for release in 2008.  But of
course, this is a big-budget production ...

We, on the other hand, are a humble collective releasing a Creative
Commons licensed version of the film that's a big improvement over most
other freely available (and most commercial) versions of the film out
there currently ...

I posted about it here to show that yes, real work of value *can* be
done with Cinelerra.

> When I look at the small flash movie it looks it was projected and then
> recorded. :( This might be the quickest way to do such thing, but if
> anyone really want to put some effort in to digitize it could have much
> better quality.

Take a look at the h.264 download instead.  The streaming flash version
was derived from the original file by the folks at archive.org, and
isn't a very good example!

Here's a direct link:

http://www.archive.org/download/Caligari_AnExquisiteCorpse/Caligari_AnExquisite_Corpse_h264_2.1b.mp4

> Since for example "Elephants Dream" is heavily used to show off HD
> material, someone might want to team up to find a sponsor to digitize
> these public domain films on HD.

I'd also love to see some restoration work you've done with Cinelerra,
Stefan ... or *any* work, for that matter ... perhaps you'll provide a
link to some examples of your work ... and, as Gordon pointed out,
Caligari *is* in the public domain ... perhaps you should organize a
single-frame restoration project using Cinelerra.

--rob

> Cinelerra@skolelinux.no
robertswitzer.org