Johannes Sixt wrote:

> On Saturday 18 August 2007 03:35, Kevin Brosius wrote:
> > Should have sent this to devel...
> >
> > I've run into build trouble on SUSE x86_64 related to this patch:
> >
> > On 2007-03-31 19:36, Johannes Sixt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Author: j6t
> > > Date: 2007-03-31 21:36:53 +0200 (Sat, 31 Mar 2007)
> > > New Revision: 1007
> > >
> > > Modified:
> > >    trunk/hvirtual/configure.in
> > >    trunk/hvirtual/libmpeg3/video/Makefile.am
> > > Log:
> > > Make configure detect and work on amd64.
> > >
> > > Patch by j <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.
> >
> > Hannes, or j,
> >
> > The use of USEMMX is not just in libmpeg3, which was changed.
> >
> > > AM_CONDITIONAL(USEMMX, test "x$enable_mmx" = "xyes")
> > > +AM_CONDITIONAL(USEMMX32, test "x$enable_mmx32" = "xyes")
> >
> > While this addresses libmpeg3, there are also uses of USEMMX in
> > quicktime/ffmpeg/libavcodec
>
> The purpose of this fix, AFAIR, was to address only MMX issues in libmpeg3,
> not in ffmpeg. I faintly recall that I have even encouraged j not to touch
> USEMMX in ffmpeg, because it has a different meaning/purpose there. What's
> your problem?

I suspect it is that MMX is now enabled in ffpmeg where it was not
before, and fPIC is not set properly for the ffpmeg build.  I am seeing
an fPIC error while trying to link mpegvideo_mmx.o in
ffmpeg/libavcodec.  The failure is because the mmx .o file is built
without -fPIC.

Note that the patch adds a x86_64 cpu target to configure.in which auto
detects mmx, it seems.  This enables mmx for all sublibs on x86_64,
which was not the case before.  There is a new USEMMX32 define for
non-64 bit targets...  Also, the configure for 3dnow was left off the
x86_64 arch block in configure.in, was this intentional?

Anyway, we should be able to enable mmx across the board on x86_64, I
would think.  I'll look in to why ffmpeg doesn't configure the same as
other parts of the build with respect to -fPIC.  I noticed there was a
change to it's -fPIC preference also.  This may relate to the trouble.

Do you recall what platform j was using?  I assume the patch fixed the
build on his platform while breaking SUSE.

I can build if I pass --disable-mmx to configure, skipping the trouble
files in ffmpeg.

--
Kevin