On 2007-08-19 09:04, j wrote:
> for what its worth
> svn up && ./autogen.sh && ./configure --enable-mmx --with-pic && make
> does *not* work on my amd 64 / ubuntu box right now.

No, probably not, but I think that's ok.  --with-pic is kind of ugly.
You can build if that option is not specified, right?

Does removing both --enable-mmx and --with-pic build for you?  Does it
auto detect mmx and build with it anyway in that case?

> ffmpeg/libavcodec/.libs/libavcodec.a(fdct_mmx.o): relocation
> R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a
> shared object; recompile with -fPIC
>
> ffmpeg/libavcodec/.libs/libavcodec.a(fdct_mmx.o): could not read
> symbols: Bad value
>
> did not look into it but must be a change after my patch from earlier
> this year.

This it the error I see, but it's because ffmpeg does not build with
PIC, even though the rest of the build does.  An additional problem may
be that there was trouble building the mmx portion of ffmpeg some time
ago with PIC.  I need to verify of that is why we've had so much trouble
with it.

I noticed from your older emails, j, that you were not using internal
ffmpeg.  I think that is why this was not noticed before.  If the build
was using external ffmpeg, then I would not expect to see the error you
posted.

On 2007-08-19 10:50, Graham Evans wrote:
> Around the time of cinelerra svn 1000 I switched from fedora to debian
> sid and couldn't compile cinelerra anymore.   My distro is debian sid
> pure 64 on an amd64smp/openGL system.  I was having all sorts of fpic
> and ffmpeg problems exactly like the one above.  Hermann had a patch
> which only changed one line in a makefile and that fixed all my
> problems.  It looks like this patch has not been committed.  Perhaps it
> will help you (attached).
>
> I'm not sure why this patch is not committed - perhaps there is some
> uncertainty whether it is sound for all build systems.

Well, I think the trouble here is that either ffmpeg should follow the
PIC behavior of the rest of the build, or is broken for PIC in general.

I saw a note that debian policy required build with PIC for a time.  I
don't think that will continue, as present comments say PIC should not
be required.  I do see PIC used in the general Cin portion of the build
here on Suse.  Do you know, or can you check, if PIC was used in your
builds of the main portion of Cin, Graham?

Also, if you have a build log, would you show me the compile options of
mpegvideo_mmx when it builds?  (If it builds...  It will only build if
mmx is specified or auto detected as true.  I'd like to know if it does
not auto detect mmx also.)

Thanks all,
--
Kevin