On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 21:09 +0000, Mark Carter wrote:
> 24.3 Invoking the FICL REPL
> “REPL” is the read-eval-print-loop, which allows you to interact with
> Cinelerra from the console. To start the REPL, select menu item File >
> Ficl Repl. This will cause Cinelerra to “freeze” as it drops down to
> Ficl. In the console, you should be able to see the prompt
> ok>

That's a worry to me. Is there any possibility you could run the FICL
console in a thread of its own?

Or, better yet, use the Cin widgets to create a FICL console window, and
have it completely event-driven? For instance, implement the usual
editing event handlers, then a handler for ENTER key which passes the
command to FICL.

In a multi-thread environment such as Cin, you have to change from the
'read/eval loop' to an 'eval-on-Enter handler'.

When I've done this in the past, I've had to find the point in the
program where events get handled. Not sure about Cin, but quite often,
gui frameworks are not thread safe but they do offer a safe way for any
thread to post events, so that a handler in the main thread can pick up
these events and action them.

Cheers
David