It really depends on what you're doing with them.  Like most things, you have
trade-offs to weigh.

In our particular application, we were tying metadata to each frame, so it
made a little more sense to keep individual files.  Also, if you corrupt one
of the many thousands of files, you don't run the risk of losing the whole
video like you would using one big file.  But then you have to be mindful of
your filesystem so it doesn't take a month of Sundays to process.

On the other hand, you do get performance benefits out of using one big file,
and it is easier to manage.  Just beware file size limitations on some
filesystems (FAT32 comes to mind).  You can exceed them without breaking a
sweat when video is concerned.

I don't remember your specific application, and I've already deleted the
thread from my e-mail - otherwise I would comment further.

Hope this helps.

Dave