Just to further caution:

34000 files is OK in a directory - barely.  If you have 3x that (102,000
files) in a directory, your file system performance may decrease rapidly,
depending on the filesystem being used.  I've seen and duplicated some
studies that indicate that ext2/3 and reiserfs start having serious
performance problems after getting 10000-30000 files in a directory.  If you
need more files than that, and want to use those filesystems, break the files
up into subdirectories to avoid the performance problem.

JFS performs very well up to at least 600,000 files in a directory.  I think
XFS is supposed to work well also with large file-in-directory volumes, but
I've not tried it.

If you're ever using Windows(tm), you want to use NTFS.

As mentioned in the previous post, you *never* want to use 'ls' on a directory
with a huge number of files in it.  I did that once and waited over 20
minutes for it to start returning results.  Nor do you want to view the
contents of such a directory with a GUI - there is evil there that does not
sleep.

Dave