What kind of speeds are you trying to achieve using Blender? Because I
agree totally, the idea is fantastic. Although you could also do NLE in
Blender3D itself, it is good to stick with your own editor.

If you are tlking about speed, that´s s good point,I am an Adobe Premiere User since I was 16 (there in the XX century) and hollywood FX was THE GREAT PACKAGE, but was so DAMN SLOW! actually Canopus in time solved this making OPENGL transitions (you can see when a transition is applied at the edge, outside of the safe frame, the video IS MAPED INTO A 3D OBJECT, of course the WYSIWYG output cuts inside this 3D plane). I will make some Canopus video and will post it so you will see how this works (I am fixing a Canopus DVRex at work).

Yah... such transitions might be rendered via opengl in _REAL_TIME_.
And it is easy to do. Realy easy. Just try to install PyOpenGL and look
into /usr/lib/python?.?/site-packages/OpenGL/Demo/ directory. And of
course programed transitions will be configurable.
I thougth there was a way, but Im no coder, you are the experts here, I just can do the artwork, but PLEASE if you have a way of improve the whole system PLEASE tell us how :)

In post cases people
uses only dissolve or some times special transition which should be
animated individually for each case.
Weddings an stuff like that make intense use of these kind of FX, so there will be people using it and some don´t, but IS GREAT THO HAVE THE CHOICE, and having a gallery is a time saver when you edit, and the linux comunity has much to offer in this sense.

Is it possible to make OpenGL and export it as DV, maybe even encoded at
GPU level ;) But I was thinking about OpenGL framebuffer rendering ->
bitmap -> encoder.
I WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THAT! ;)

The BASIC idea of GVFX is to have a GALLERY of effects menuDVD templates, and SpecialFX for single clips in ONE place, why not make it blender internal? well, some will do it eventually, but wouldn´t be great that the NLEs could SHARE project files if uses thos FX? I mean, edit in kino, with those 3D transitions, go to cinelerra and trackfootage, and mask, and those transitions still there, and add some more. There is nothing like it in the comercial app world. And me and some other animators make the fancy 3D stuff.
Almost ANY new NLE project could save a lot of time gowing in features.
If blender has this internally, would be GREAT and FAST, but still we want to offer it to all NLEs.

Marquitux.