j wrote on Sun, 30 Dec 2007 00:35:26 -0800

> On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 21:00 +0100, Herman Robak wrote:
> >   This can be quite annoying if you need to recode a long recording
> > quickly.  As far as I can tell, ffmpeg doesn't take sequences of
> > files as input.
> sure does:
>  cat f01.dv f02.dv | ffmpeg -i - foo.avi
>
> make one dv file instead of copying it:
>  cat *.dv | dvgrab -stdin -format raw output
> or even
>  cat *.dv > output.dv
> might work

I used cat in a similar way on Unix/Solaris in the 80'ties and 90'ties,
after split(ing) larger files for storage on two or more 1,44MB diskettes :)

As I also wrote in another post it "looks like video files (DV, MPG and
AVI) might be joined together with Linux cat and when needed resync
audio/video with mplayer/mencoder
http://www.arsgeek.com/?p=435

I wonder if there is a special reason why audio and video on AVI
videofiles requires to be resynced after (con)cat(enating), while not
neccessary for DV and MPG files?

Rgds,
Terje J. Hanssen