On 2/2/08, Richard Spindler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Discussing UI Toolkits is somehow always a heated emotional discussion
> for some people, although I am not entirely sure why.

because GUI toolkits aren't just technical entities, they are nodes in
the graph of things, linked to languages, history, licenses,
communities, philosophies etc. you may attempt to single out the
"technical merits" but you can't stop people making associations and
get emotional.

> "Serious" Discussion about the Graphical User Interface of the
> next generation Linux Video Editing Tool

[...]

> Next we wont fancy ... Knobs ... etc.

Knob widgets are incompatible with "Serious" Discussion about the GUI.

> And preferable we want to reuse
> other peoples fancy widgets, because we are lazy. ;-)

A "Serious" reason to reuse widgets wouldn't be lazyness of
programmers, but satisfaction of users. The less skills user has to
forget each time s?he starts another application - the better.

What you really want is to make sure the same things are done the same
way, similar things are done similar way, and things that are unique
to your application are kept to minimum.

But then the question is into which set of interface conventions you
want to blend in? Since you have already narrowed down the choices
down to gtk+ vs qt the question is do you want the video editor to be
more KDEish or GNOMEish?

If "by advanced I guess we want to be relatively easy to adjust and
reconfigurable", I guess you lean more towards KDE in UI philosophy
and your preference of Qt makes only more sense.

> Since I am lazy, and GTK+ does not provide ANYTHING that is so
> significant that it makes it vastly superior to Qt, I would suggest the
> lazy route, and go for Qt. This of course is only my opinion, there is
> no need to argue against it, unless you can show me THE vastly superior
> feature of GTK+ that I OVERLOOKED. (no License and evil Corporation
> Talk, only technical!)

User interface design isn't purely technical problem. Until that's
realized you're doomed to give birth to more and more
cinelerras_(N+1).

--
cheers,
artm