On Monday 14 April 2008 13:47, Burkhard Plaum wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Wiebe Cazemier schrieb:
>> I think mencoder does it right.
>
> According to this post it doesn't:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mplayer.devel/48261/focus=48270
>
> But it still does not mean, that this is the same as your problem.
> If you transcode png -> mpeg4 with mencoder, everything should be fine.

This makes things a lot more complicated. I was rendering to JPG with Cinelerra
all the time. But when I render to PNG and encode to xivd.avi, the resulting
image *is* too bright.

So, rendering to JPG and then encoding to xvid may result in a proper image,
but it would appear that this is by accident; mencoder seems to make movies
encoded from JPG frames darker.

So, the question remains, why does Cinelerra do gamma correction? I can imagine
difficulties when you're dealing with video drivers and preview output, but I
can't see how this could happen in the rendering pipeline. And, how do I fix
it? The only reliable, but klunky, way I know how, is to make a script which
uses imagemagick's "convert" utility...

Rendering to PNG is very, very slow BTW. And it seems to hang during the
render, periodicly.

>> When encoding, mencoder says this:
>>
>> SwScaler: BICUBIC scaler, from rgb32 to yuv420p using MMX2
>> SwScaler: using 4-tap MMX scaler for horizontal luminance scaling
>> SwScaler: using 4-tap MMX scaler for horizontal chrominance scaling
>> SwScaler: using 1-tap MMX "scaler" for vertical scaling (YV12 like)
>
> That's only info about how the image planes are scaled.

Also the first line? Scaling RGB32 to yuv420p?