Ciao!

This is not the first time we talk about funding Cinelerra and Lumiera.
I think this confirms the need of a donation system is real.
That system must be set up. Possibly now.

We talked a lot about possible solutions. Looking hard for the best one we
ended up choosing none.
That must be fixed. Possibly now.

I approve cehteh's idea of a dedicated website.
I'd start from a simple, easy and basic system destined to be improved as
experience goes.

The bounty system of Cinelerra has a stunted success. I think we can make
the bounty model better.
The thing I dislike better is the market style of the bounty where users
buy features from developers.
What I like of bounties is that they can make the work done/todo more
visible and thus nurture participation.

My imagination is creating a site made like that:

Core developer John Bull:
        Done this, doing that, will do those.
        Needs: money, new slippers...
        Got: 5 cents from anonymous, 2 cents from Mom.
        To donate contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Core developer Marylin Beautiful:
        Done that, working on those, will do this.
        Needs: Money, a second hand video-camera...
        Got: a bunch of roses (second hand, though)
        To donate use paypal

Website:
        Detailed maintenance costs are:
                January: 70.000 liras  paid by Billy and Molly
                February: 70.000 liras   ...............
        To donate send a bank transfer to Lumiera Bank.

Project A:
        Build a Barbie theme for Lumiera
                Tom Cruise promises 10.000$
        To add your promise edit the wiki.

Project B:
        Build a hairy interface
                raffa promises 5 euros
                raffa's cat promises 50 euros
        To add your promise contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'd better shut my imagination down.

Key points are:

There is no mathematical connection between money and work. Features are
not for sale. Donations support the project in general. Donations can be
money, goods, services.

All the work needs support: the work the user is aware of and the work
hidden under the hood. That must be made clear.

There are occasional tasks (projects A and B) and stable ones (core devs
and website). They need different approach.

The best way to have a donation system is to start building it.

Just my 2 cents. ;-)

Ciao!

Raffaella