I reinstalled cinelerra from the akirad repository, so I could let you
know what errors I was getting using the yuv4mpeg stream.  Whatever
the problem was must have been fixed since the last time I tried using
it (maybe 6 months ago).  Both mpeg2enc and ffmpeg methods worked
fine.  So I guess I dont _need_ to compile from source after all.

Would there be any other benefit to compiling from source?  Someone
mentioned that ffmpeg is crippled in ubuntu hardy.  Would you
recommend installing a different version of ffmpeg?

Thanks for all your help guys.  I really hope to some day repay you
for all your great help.

Jim