Well, I don't know what fixed it, but I now have good playback _and_ ffmpeg
works via yuv4mpeg stream!  Woohoo!

The last few things I changed for the record:
1) downgrading to the version of ffmpeg in the ubuntu repository.  This was
version 3:0.cvs20070307-5ubuntu7.1+medibuntu1
2) reinstalled everything I had installed via akirad repository.  These
are:  akirad-keyring-and-mirrors, akiradnews, cinelerracv-gl, libgavl1,
libguicastcv-gl, libmpeg3cv-gl, libquicktimecv-gl, optlibx11-noxcb-6,
optlibx11-noxcb-data, libquicktime1, libquicktime-dev, quicktime-utils

Thank you so much for all your help guys!

Jim