august wrote:
         If you have any ideas or any suggestions, I'd love to hear it.

If you cut the audio track, does playback return to normal speed? I had an audio driver issue once that resulted in 3fps playback- disabling audio got it right back to 29.97. The eventual fix was to tweak some audio settings (Believe I was sending too many samples at once). It's a long shot, but thought I'd mention it.

If you're willing to dig a little, oprofile will do a great job of telling you what function your CPU is spending all its time in. This should point you in the right direction.

-Brendan