Take a look at ArtistX it's debian based and has everything you need and
then some. It also runs as a live disk. That way you can see if you are
having any hardware issues before installing to hard drive.
http://www.artistx.org/site2/

If you want to build from scratch I wrote a script awhile back (I'm not a
programer) that works fairly well installing the entire debian multimedia
repo with keys etc. Takes forever though.
http://reggaecobras.com/linuxvideo/

I would echo Christian in that you should stay away from hd and concentrate
on SD as you are working with 32 bit machines.
ciao
Daniel