Hi Georg!

> sorry if a bit off-topic, hope not too far off.

I don't think this is off topic. It's about Cinelerra and openvideo.

> the school seems ready to install everything necessary on a number of
> p4 (32bit) machines.

Last year I gave a class on 5 recycled machines (old machines saved from
trash) with Ubuntu + Cinelerra. Screen resolution was very limited but
it was usable and especially at no cost.
If you want I can find out exactly what machines they are.

> ubuntu studio looks promising but has no cinelerra in it,

Another problem of Ubuntu Studio is that it is not a LiveCD.
As a replacement, I'm trying Artistx http://www.artistx.org/site2/
that has several advantages:
- it's a live CD
- it's based on Ubuntu
- it has CinelerraCV preinstalled
- It has other simpler NLE (Kdenlive, Openmovieeditor, Kino, Pitivi)
I have no information on the results yet.

> so far, the school has no camera. they are ready to get some
> and asked me to tell them what i need. so, what do you think i should order?

MiniDV are probably the easiest to use.
(cameras that record in MPEG have plenty of synch issues)
Some 3CCD cameras are reasonably cheap.

If you need many cameras (35 people are a lot) and you are concentrated
on editing (rather than shooting) you can use webcams.

Ciao!
Raffaella