there are two windows for viewing.
you can load single clips into the 'viewer' to view and trim.
footage loaded into the timeline is shown in the 'compositor'.

either of them can be activated in the 'Window' menu.
By the way, there is extensive documentation
on the cinelerra.org website. in particular, read the fine manual:

http://cinelerra.org/docs/cinelerra_cv_manual_en.html
good luck
georg

--