On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 15:55 +1300, E Chalaron wrote:

> So I am looking at getting a farm rendering system based on
>
>      1. Intel Atom D545 or D525 64 bits 1.8 MHZ, mini ITX
>      2. system on a SD card, that will run cinelerra, or a small 2.5
>         drive
>      3. 2 GB of RAM per machine DDR 3 800
>      4. No screen, no keyboard no nothing
>      5. NFS filesystem to write results to other machines where I have
>         about 7 TB of storage.
>      6. let' say 5 of them
> So basically a number muncher..... or is it?
> Even if it proves a winner, how reliable could it be ?
>
> Thanks a lot
Hey Edouard,
I experimented with the render farm a while back.  Was a semi-bitch to
setup.  But once you write a script to do all the NFS mounting,
cinelerra remote startup (port 400!), etc, its not too bad.

Definetly helps to have machines of all the same processing power,
because the load balancing algorithm does not take into account the
speed and capacity of the rendering nodes.

Haven't used it in a while.  Maybe behoove you to try out with a few
virtual machines first, just to get the process down.

scott