Russ,
You can go crazy with any configurations you want; however, you'll notice the
applied across the boxes will be uneven.  I remember some machines doing
nothing waiting for the others to be done with a job.  However, that might have
been because of the type of file I was rendering to, Quicktimes versus MPEGs.
Now I'm remembering..with MPEGs, the files are rendered in different pieces
numbered sequentially.  After the render is done, you need to assemble those
pieces of a video into the whole.  Easy enough to do.  Then you can script that
process.

I remember the experience being somewhat disappointing.  But if you have the
extra horsepower around and are encoding in large volumes, the renderfarm might
meet your need.  And you can only get so much joy (read: optimal performance)
from the multithreading parameters in ffmpeg or mpeg2enc.  ;)

Life ain't perfect in the land of Linux video editing.  (Callout to Doug
Pollard's post of a couple weeks back).  "It is what it is" unless you have the
programming chops to fix it.

scott