A digital8 camcorder sounds like an excellent idea to me. And not just because it's convenient.

The thing about capturing from a video tape is that the frame rate isn't as accurate as when the video source is some broadcast station. To make things even worse, the frame rate tends to wobble if there's some kind of erasure on the analog tape, so it isn't even stable.

Frame grabbers in general (cheap ones in particular) are designed to capture television, and don't have the necessary mechanism to handle imperfections in the frame rate. This makes the design simple and cheap: You have a unit which grabs video frames, another *independent* unit which captures the audio, and both feeding a third unit, which packs the data into a video stream. This third unit relies on frames arriving at a certain rate compared with the rate at which analog samples arrive. The analog samples rate is derived from a clock created by the frame grabber itself, and doesn't adapt itself to the video. So as long as the frame rate is accurate and stable, this works perfectly.

But when the frame rate is slightly off, you'll get bad audio sync and frame drops, or just anything happens. This, in turn, may drive the video decoder crazy, and things get even more bizarre.

That's why the camcorder idea sounds so good to me. You know one thing for sure about it: It was designed to handle analog tapes.

I would even rent one, run through the tapes quickly, and return it. Even if its video format doesn't work with cinelerra, there will be plenty of time for transcoding later.

Good luck,

  Eli