Your English is just fine!!!

Let me review what I did. My initial installation (Ubuntu 10.10) was with en_US
locale. I added Spanish as an additional language (from System ->
Administration -> Language Support). I applied it system-wise. Also, I made
sure my "Language for menus and windows" had Spanish as the first Entry. After
a quick reboot, My system was running in Spanish. I reinstalled cinelerra, and
it was translated in Spanish.

Running locale -a, shows en_US and es_ES with UTF-8.

Reverting the language to English (in the "Language for menus and windows"),
brought back English as the default language for Cinelerra).

One question: after you switched to UTF-8, did you use the stable version of
cinelerra-ppa (2.1.6-0.14) or the unstable one (2.1.6-0.14.2)? I'd recommend
using the stable version.

I hope it helps.

Nicola