On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 18:04:31 +0100, Nicola Ferralis <feran...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Thanks, Herman.

I'd like to suggest an alternative, more dynamic way of versioning Cinelerra.
Instead of having patches committed in trunk and at some point (which is not
described anywhere) do a 2.1.x release, what about using the Google
Chrome/Chromium approach to have a fast pace versioning? Basically every time a
patch is applied, there would be a version bump (maybe not immediate, but after
some time of testing).

I don't think browsers and video editors are quite comparable.
For most users, browsers are "consumer" tools: They use them to
pull stuff from the net, to get information or entertainment.
Using the browser as a content _editor_ is indeed possible with
current browsers, but it's not perceived as highly reliable yet.

Editing video is a time-consuming task.  Since Cinelerra is a
high-end oriented editor/compositor, users may spend days or
weeks on a single project.  If an upgrade breaks such a project,
it's a huge deal for the user.  There won't be an easy work-around,
like "press reload", or "load it in another browser".

However, we have to get versioning straightened out, for sure.
Release snapshots should be published as properly named .tgz
archives, and tagged in Git.  (This will be one of the topics
on the upcoming developer meeting in five days: Sunday March 6th,
at 14.00 UTC, in the #cinelerra IRC channel.  More on that in
a separate e-mail.)

Cinelerra's project files should get a version number added to
them, so that version-specific work-arounds can be applied, if
needed.

--
Herman Robak