Le 2011-11-20 11:27, Heikki Repo a écrit :
2011/11/20 Leandro Martins<conspro...@gmail.com>:
Hi,

I would like to know where I could find information about people editing
feature films meant for theatrical release with Cinelerra.

I'm ready for a little sweat when it comes to figure out and put together
the best machine to run it on. What worries me, though is whether the
software will be able to handle the task somehow easily.

I try to use as much free software as possible not just for economic reasons
but to back the philosophy behind it. I would love to add Cinelerra to my
professional kit.

Thanks a lot!

Good work for you guys.

Hi Leandro,

What kind of workflow do you have? Are you shooting digital or film?
Do you need to collaborate with post production houses? Separate
offline and online edit? These questions are rather important, because
I'm afraid to say that Cinelerra might not yet be there for heavy
professional work.

Why? The biggest problem I can see is the lack of support for good
consistent handling of timecode. If, for example, you are going to do
an offline edit with DV and later recapture footage from HDCAM
according to an EDL in a post production house, it won't be too easy.

Some other things to consider:
- Cinelerra can be somewhat fickle when doing cuts. It isn't too
difficult to get black frames between cuts if one isn't very careful.
- You'll probably have to do quite many saves and backups. A LOT of
saves and backups.
- Codecs and file formats: Linux video does support many formats, at
least decode them. How efficient it is when doing it is another
question.
- The UI doesn't really have too many guides for moving video around.
Want to know how many frames you are dragging a clip forward or
backwards? Want to lock video and audio together? Then Cinelerra isn't
the tool you want.

To sum it up: it can be done, but it won't be too enjoyable trip, at
least if one has gotten used to many small but useful features present
in professional software. Cinelerra is certainly at the moment the
best Linux editing software, but unfortunately it doesn't mean that it
would be the tool I'd select for important work. If you want to edit
on Linux, you might be interested of Lightworks, which should be
released as beta for Linux next month.

Sorry to offer such a depressing view on Cinelerra -- I'm very much
for open source movement and use linux as my main operating system,
but at the moment it just isn't yet there if professional editing work
is concerned.

Best regards
Heikk

Hi Leandro,
At onset, I must admit that I share some of the views of Heikki with regard to using Cinelerra for editing lengthy films.

However let me share my experience,
I've been making short films since 2004, short films that I presented at our local kino club (kino Montréal being the first one of these clubs, http://www.kino00.com/), I moved to Linux some time in 2008, because I learn about Cinelerra and believed that It could match other professional editing software. The learning curved has been steep and had it fair share of frustration and lengthy problem/resolution processes. I think that the worst of them resulted from the lack of audio/video lock. It is frustrating to realize after multiples edit steps on your time line, that an audio and a video sequences that you had alined together are off by some keyframe because the audio or video track was still "armed" while you where editing an other track.

I supposed that now that I'm comfortable with Cinelerra, after 3 or 4 years of editing 5 to 20 minutes short films, I would find it interesting to tackle a full length production. Recently I've put up a render farm of 8 cores and I'm been editing footage in 1080p successfully. I use ffmpeg (an essential tool) to convert AVC video (.MOV) from my cannon camera to Mjpeg and edit the Mjpeg in Cinelerra. I export the final edit to raw YUV files that I convert to what ever final format with ffmpeg. I use 4 hard drive in a raid 0 configuration to hold the very large video files. Some time I find it useful to devide a project in a coupled of smaller projects, which export's are united later in the production process. In such a work flow, a feature film of 120 minutes would require some very large hard drive to hold all the intermediate raw or Mjpeg footage.

I also read some where (correct me if I'm wrong) that the render engine as no limits as to the size of the project. I've editing a few short films in 2k and made some test (not exhaustive or anything) in a 4k project. Editing 4k footage, albeit requirering a massive render farm would seem to be an advantage of Cinelerra over some professional video editing software.

Hence to sum up, I think that Cinelerra could be use for professional work if you master its secrets, divide your project is smaller pieces and work up a good workflow.

Best regards,

Félix-A