Richard Rasker wrote:
Hello,

I've been a long-time Mandriva user, but IMHO, this distribution is
going downhill ever since version 2008.1, although some of my latest
gripes can also be attributed to the overhaul of the sound system and
the new KDE4 desktop environment -- things common to all KDE-based
distributions.

As it is, I've upgraded several machines of myself and my users up to
Mandriva version 2010.2, and with every "upgrade" more things got messed
up that worked just fine before. Some examples:

[...]

So here's my question: what's the Cinelerra users' favourite
distribution? Or which distribution would probably meet my requirements
best?
Thanks for any suggestions, and yes, I have a modern spare PC that I can
use to try out any amount of distributions.

Hello,

I have a "not so recent" computer (dual MP2800+). Until recently I used mandriva 2006 with matrox cards (triple screen setup for movie editing). It was stable as hell, but too old for HD, H264, ...

I have updated to mandriva 2010.2 + nvidia cards (sadly, matrox card can't handle 1920x1080 with XV). After the update, the system was really slow, but the culpit was KDE4. Then I have replaced KDE4 by trinity (KDE3.5 continuation) and now my setup works very well for video editing : I do 640x480 and 1920x1080 editing (through proxy editing) and both works out of the box*.

So if you want to avoid ubuntu (that's my case), just use mandriva 2010.2 and replace KDE4 with trinity packages for mandriva.

* I must say that the system is less stable than with the mandriva 2006, but this is because of the NVidia drivers (sometimes one and only one of the display switchs off, forcing me to reboot ...)

Hope this helps,
Xavier