I've been fond of Debian for a number of years now. The Debian
Multimedia Repository is quite extensive and usually up to date.
http://debian-multimedia.org/

I've also been looking at AV Linux which is a Debian based distro and
it is already stocked and set up with the above repository, including
Cinelerra.The live cd looks great and I'm going to upgrade one of my
machines with it in the next day or so. I'll let you know how it goes.
http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html

If you do go with Debian it defaults to Gnome and you need to specify
at install time to install other Desktop environments should you
prefer KDE.
ciao
Daniel