Hi everyone

Just a quick email for some figures.
As some may remember I have a small farm rendering setup here (4 slaves)
Of course when I needed it the most one of the power supply of a slave mobo gave up. Leading me to trick the system etc .... ending up buggering a complete 11.3 OS disk.

Being not too happy with suse 11.4 on 1 machine I decided to go ahead with 12.0.

Apart from a graphic interface that looks like "Noddy and his computer", everything went smoothly for the install (cifs mount, nfs disks, raid 0 XFS, cinelerra precompiled)

Ok time for gear description :

  1. All slaves are creating equal (e.g. exactly the same hardware) but
     one running 12.0, others 11.3 and master running 11.4
  2. The master is an AMD 6400 + black edition (or something)
  3. Slaves are Pentium 6500 @ 2.93 Khz running in init3
  4. Important point the 12.0 slave is also running a 2.2 cinelerra
     version (rpm)

Test has been done on 58 reels of super 8 of 50 ft (~3600 frames / roll).
So here we go, after few hours non stop of calculations on 5 machines : Master + 4 slaves

I attached a frame, but jut in case it does not go through :

   * Master : 7.413 fps (11.4)
   * Slave 1 : 9.116 fps (11.3)
   * Slave 2 : 9.570 fps (11.3)
   * slave 3 : 12.203 fps (12.0)
   * Slave 4 : 9.486 fps (11.3)

That does include histogram, scaling from 1600 x 1200 to 1440+1080+padding and motion on vertical axis only, export on the same target disk in uncompressed RGB

I have my own conclusion (there is a god for idiots) and leave it for people to comment

Cheers and happy new year
Edouard