Am 05.01.2012 02:20, schrieb robi:
> i heard some of the code of cinelerra and blender was used for smoke inferno,
> and fire. since all source code is available to everyone, but we cant look at
> the source code for these other programs to see it wasnt used because those
> programs are closed source. remember companies do not reinvent the wheel they
> just use whats available freely and add some other code and api to make it
> closed source and put a high dollar to it.

> the point is that all apps which are opensource on linux, is ended up
> becoming closed source. apple had their eye on cinelerra since that demo in
> 2004, but they couldnt aquire it, so others have used the code from
> cinelerra to make their apps.

Hi robi,

maybe we should be more precise regarding what companies can "do" with Free
Software. While it's certainly possible for programmers working within a
commercial setup to copy code from Free Software or OpenSource, it's ceratainly
not legal to do so (or at least legally challenging). A company doing illegal
stuff places values at stake, at least as long as the legal system as such is
in force. Since the overall trend within modern industry is towards rationally
managing and controlling risks, this trend works more and more against any
"wild west" manners.

The distinction between "copying" and inspiration is quite a slippery ground.
Free and OpenSource software comprises a huge body of knowledge belonging to
all of mankind. Indeed, retaining and reinforcing this source for knowledge
and learning was one of the core motivations giving rise to that movement.
Thus, every engineer indeed draws from those sources, and in this sense
it's correct that commercially operating entities consume common goods
without returning adequate value to the public. With the exception
of those companies engaging actively into sponsorship.

Unfortunately, in retrospective, many technically brilliant Free Software
solutions often had a hard time keeping their projects and code base intact and
alive, while commercially operating bodies typically are way more effective in
the organisation necessary to getting things polished and packaged and sold.

Hermann Vosseler