I am unable to solve this problem I am having in converting an mpg file to avi as input into Cinelerra for editing. Can anyone, please, give me a clue on how to solve it?

The .mpg file, which is 10.4GB big and is a program recorded off the TV (digital, terrestial)

 has these details:

Input #0, mpeg, from 'Flying_Machines.mpg':
  Duration: 02:45:23.62, start: 13078.001922, bitrate: 9217 kb/s
Stream #0:0[0x1e0]: Video: mpeg2video (Main), yuv420p, 1440x1080 [SAR 4:3 DAR 16:9], 15500 kb/s, 25 fps, 25 tbr, 90k tbn, 50 tbc
    Stream #0:1[0x80]: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 448 kb/s

I have been using this CLI 'script' to convert my mpg files to avi (and I can work on them successfully in Cinelerra):

mencoder -vf harddup -demuxer lavf -oac pcm -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mjpeg:vhq:vbitrate=6000:autoaspect=1 -noskip -mc 0 -ofps 25 -o <output.avi> <input.mpg>

However, when I put the ABOVE file, after it has been converted to avi by mencoder, into Cinelerra, the resulting edited file which appears in the COMPOSITOR window is a zoomed version of the original- ie, I lose part of the picture on all 4 sides. BUT, the TIMELINE shows each frame as it should look - ie, there is no loss of picture and all the details is therefore there as in the original recording.

I then used WINff which I found here:

http://www.g-raffa.eu/Cinelerra/HOWTO/get_media_ready.html

and applied the 'Grandma's Fix', "Using the Graphical User Interface - WinFF", and then followed the instructions given there to convert the mpg file - ie, used "Cinelerra intermediate formats" and "Select DNxHD as Preset". When I do that I get the following error message:

I tried a number of combinations of bitrates etc for both video and audio but get the same error message.

Can anyone help please re this problem? I may not have provided sufficient info as I don't know what is most relevant.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.9.3 & kernel 3.6.6-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor