On Thu, 11 Sep 2008, Paul Stewart wrote:

Hi there...

In a SP environment, what's common practice so far with subnetting?
Typically, in IPv4 today we use a /30 or /29 for point to point and each
device has a /32 loopback...

I've been reading a lot of different opinions and everyone seems to
recommend a /64 for each link (router) or a server - why so large?  I'd love
to see a layout of a few routers in a SP core network and how they've
subnetted them....;)

- /64 if you have any chance that you want to use autoconfiguration (may be in the future) - for subnets containing lots of computers I definitiely would go for /64

- /126 you got similar to /30

- /122 in between /64 and /126 - with nice : boundary

- or nothing if you are satisfied by link locals - OSPFv3, IS-IS can work without global IPv6 address (even BGP can work on Cisco)

Regards,
                Janos Mohacsi

Appreciate it,

Paul