Hi, I've only been recently tasked with looking into possible (re)uses for this box so I'm not sure how it managed to handle 2 sets of full routes either.
The first thing that came to mind when tasked with this was actually Quagga/OpenBGPD. There appears to be a discussion on Linux Gigabit routers on the NANOG-ML but the discussion seems skewed towards forwarding performance rather than BGP scalability. Understandably, open source routing daemons aren't exactly cisco-nsp, but could you (or others on-list) share opinions on this? Thanks! On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 10:42 PM, David Coulson <[email protected]>wrote: > I'm surprised it worked mid 2007 - I've certainly had no success loading > full tables into 256Mb in the last two years without aggressive filtering. > > So, my answer would be 'no'. I'd be tempted to use a Linux or BSD box if > you just want a basic route server. > > > Ang Kah Yik wrote: > >> Hi all, >> >> Would an RSP4 (256MB RAM) from a 7505 be any good as a pure route server >> (no >> forwarding) for 2 or more full IPv4 BGP tables? >> Prior to decommissioning in mid '07, it acted as a border router handling >> 2 >> upstreams but I would like to know if it can cope with routing table >> growth >> for at least the next year or so. >> >> Suggestions and opinions are most welcome. Cheers. >> >> >> > -- Ang Kah Yik (bangky) - http://blog.bangky.net _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
