I think it's important to note that there are similar limiters in other devices, eg: Juniper m20/m40 that we've encountered over the years.

This has caused customer confusion as they hit these, even in a fully distributed linecard environment. The reality is unless it's done in a low-level ASIC, it can easily turn into a security vulnerability.

Drop 5 gigs of ttl=1 traffic at a device and it will fall over unless there is some protection. It may not even need to be as high as 5g.

There are a lot of rate-limiters available, check out 'show mls rate- limit' on your Earl7 (76k, ie: (65|76)00) based device. Set them low to avoid problems. I find 100/10 works well.

        - Jared