Tom Lanyon wrote: > but can anyone provide experience on throughput to expect > using a 38xx or 39xx for basic BGP to 2-3 full table peers > with the basic edge services (NetFlow, ACLs, uRPF) enabled, > before its CPU hits the roof?
I can't comment on this specific scenario but in WAN applications I generally observe 3-10% of the 'maximum' PPS rating (as per the router performance guide) with "some features" enabled. "some features" might be basic traffic classification plus shaping, or just class-based firewall (both of which seem to perform at the upper end of that performance range - closer to 10%) or DMVPN, MPLS and QoS (which is at the lower end - 3-5%). These general performance rates have been common across the 2801s, 2811s and 2821s I've dealt with and have been the ceiling where CPU is on or near 100% - I wouldn't generally want to see an operational router at greater than say 60% under predicted PEAK loads. (allowing margin for levels beyond what I as a mere mortal can predict, or enabling of other features) With this in mind, I'd expect a 3825's 350kpps max pps rating to become 10-35kpps in the real world. Calculate that out in bps for your predicted average packet size. YMMV significantly :-) I too would be interested to hear what others have to say in this regard to get a greater view for real world performance. Regards, Brad _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
