On Fri, 21 May 2010, Gert Doering wrote:

Unfortunately, there's still lot of admin folks around that have learned in the last century that "autoneg just doesn't work", so they go around and configure everything for 100/full - and then someone swaps some other gear, defaults to auto, boom, duplex mismatch, packet loss, nastiness.

My recommendation in this case is to run:

speed auto
duplex full

The other end can always detect the speed, with or without autoneg, and most of the time when it's wrong, things stop working completely. Duplex full means if someone does 100/full at the other and and don't do autoneg, things still work.

Only case this doesn't work is with an old hub or if someone force half duplex, but that is very uncommon,

I agree that auto/auto is the way to go, but if one wants to force something, auto/full is a better choice than 100/full. I have feature requested to multiple vendor that they should NOT turn off autoneg just because speed/duplex is forced, there is no reason as far as I know to stop doing autoneg with only that speed/duplex as capabilities.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se