In addition to that a lot of platforms, such as Catalyst switches
perform packet forwarding in hardware by ASICs and linecards can make
forwarding decisions, so pinging the switch/router/MLS might not be
accurate at all due to special configs on the ingress/egress
interface. Also, the CPU in the switch might not be as powerful as one
in a server therefore it will exhibit more latency.

Also, to discuss something about the initial question, on Nexus 7000
switches, CoPP can be enabled in the initial setup and it's commonly
used. However, one might forget about it and ping the N7k switch from
another smaller switch with a high packet rate and find packet loss,
although it is expected due to CoPP.

Best regards,
Andras