On May 22, 2013, at 8:50 AM, Adam Vitkovsky <[email protected]> wrote:
> Shane, Jared, > I guess we all have been told by our SEs that the 4.2.3 is the safe harbor. > So I'm really curious what bugs made you abandon 4.2.3 and made your choice > to rather go with 4.3.x instead. > Would you please share the bug IDs or short description of the problems > please? > > As the only one I'm aware of -that has a fix in 4.3.1 is the manual > Remote-LFA functionality using te-tunnels: > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/asr9000/software/asr9k_r4.2/general/ > release/notes/reln_423a9k.html#topic_AFBC45CA95C34828AFFF712B6107E883 I'm not going to go into all our environment and defects in public, but I do try to share our experiences for the benefit of the community. If you are on 4.2.x, 4.2.3 is the best place to be. If you are picking a path forward, you should be looking at 4.3.1. We still have some issues that are not fixed in 4.2.3 and 4.3.1 and we are waiting for those SMUs to be released. Some of these are specific to our configuration, some are related to how we deploy and operate our network. Many of the things we consider operationally impacting cisco enjoys the leisure of calling cosmetic as they don't operate the equipment. We need things like RANCID to collect accurate inventory. These don't work well in 4.2.x but are fixed in 4.3.x (eg: CSCuc67718) I've had another case open since February without resolution on a similar issue using Cisco optics and they still haven't been able to provide a fix in 4.2.x but the issue is fixed in 4.3.x. IMHO, the only real reason to run 4.2.x is if you like troubleshooting bugs that are already resolved in a future release :) I don't have that full luxury. We have a number of outstanding SMU requests. If you're a Cisco employee and reading this, I can provide some reference lists in private should you be interested. - Jared _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
