On 10/Dec/2013 at 09:22:01 AM, Patrick M. Hausen wrote:
I do have the knowledge and capacity to implement iBGP as my IGP
*now*, except for the route reflectors suggested. Would you recommend
that approach? I.e. going without the route reflectors and the communities first? It~Rs only 4-5 machines in total, after all, all Cisco. And no customers with BGP currently.

Starting out with route reflectors is a good idea. It makes the network easier to scale as needed.

Doing a full IBGP mesh gets messy very quickly. Even if you use peer-groups to simplify things, you're still dealing with a lot of IBGP sessions ((n * (n - 1)) / 2 sessions). With 5 routers, that would mean 10 sessions. With 10 routers, that would mean 45 sessions. Additionally, managing all of those sessions can chew up a lot of resources on your routers. Anything you can simplify will serve you well over time.

jms