On Mon, 5 Mar 2018, Arie Vayner wrote:

My gut feeling tells me the performance will be the same for irb and regular routing. These are software routers, so the performance depends on how many and which features you enable.

There is a huge performance difference (at least in older routers and older software) between CEF-enabled forwarding paths and non-CEF-enabled forwarding paths, even on CPU based routers.

Look for routerperformance.pdf and compare "process switching" and "fast/CEF switching". There is often 5-20x difference in pps. So at least back then it was important to use features that were CEF enabled, otherwise performance would go down a lot.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se