James Bensley wrote:

I thought that IRB did use CEF on the ISR-G2s?

Cheers,
James.

On software routers, even CEF enabled features do not compare well with the most optimal and optimized routing operation flows, which is essentially IP in Ethernet interface, un-encapsulated, unencumbered and minimally modified, IP out Ethernet interface, likewise.

That is what the routerperformance.pdf is based on and you should use that in two ways

a) compare relative capacity ratios between platforms

b) guesstimate actual performance based upon which features in use, starting from those numbers as a hard ceiling and going down.

It has been said frequently that for software routers, halve performance for each feature in use (tic: including powering on the router)

All that aside, I would expect that IRB as a popular BRAS approach has been heavily optimized and actually compares well with with vanilla IPoE. That has been my experience.

YMMV, HTH

Joe