Dear Cisco Study Group,

I would like to have your expertise helping me answer
three following questions of my on-going study for
CCNA exam.

1) Should I say subnet zero is valid in exam
questions?  Todd Lammle (Exam Notes), Stevens (TCP/IP
Illustrated) and Laura Chapell (CCNA Prep Lib) say no.
 Number of valid subnets still has rule (2 exp n - 2).
 However, Allen Leinwal (Cisco Router Configuration,
Cisco Press) and Kevin Fall (TCP/IP Protocol
Architecture, UCSC Extension) say yes.  Number of
valid subnets is (2 exp n - 1) using command ip
subnet-zero.  I know both are correct depending upon
how new the routing protocol is, however, which one
should we CCNA candidates pick?

$$$$$ I don't think anybody knows exactly. It depends on the version of the
test and what the guy writing had for breakfast. IMHO.

2) Setting TFTP server for my lab which has two
Linux'es, three NT's (PDC/BDC/WRK), and two routers
2500 & 4000, I still cannot make them run the commands
copying tftp to NVRAM vice versa.  I use all Linux
procedures as told in RedHat Secret textbook.  I
modify /etc/inetd.conf, kill -HUD inetd process id,
modify /etc/hosts.allow & deny.  May I have from you
experts specific instructions on how to set up such
TFTP server using RedHat Linux?

Search through www.linuxhq.com <http://www.linuxhq.com>

3) With only two routers and some machines (Linux,
NT), can I set up some lab scenarios to practice RIP
and IGRP?  Am I right saying no because with two
routers, C (connected) would be the only outcome I can
get when executing "sh ip route"?

you can use one of your linux boxes with two network cards as a third
router. If you want an interface similar to cisco's use zebra at
www.zebra.org <http://www.zebra.org>  or www.freesco.org.

Thanks very much for all wonderful helps.

Regards,

Victor Tran.
Programmer Analyst III.
Santa Clara County ISD.