Viet Tran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Dear Cisco Study Group,
>
> I would like to have your expertise helping me answer
> three following questions of my on-going study for
> CCNA exam.
>
> 1) Should I say subnet zero is valid in exam
> questions?  Todd Lammle (Exam Notes), Stevens (TCP/IP
> Illustrated) and Laura Chapell (CCNA Prep Lib) say no.
>  Number of valid subnets still has rule (2 exp n - 2).
>  However, Allen Leinwal (Cisco Router Configuration,
> Cisco Press) and Kevin Fall (TCP/IP Protocol
> Architecture, UCSC Extension) say yes.  Number of
> valid subnets is (2 exp n - 1) using command ip
> subnet-zero.  I know both are correct depending upon
> how new the routing protocol is, however, which one
> should we CCNA candidates pick?

it is true that you can use the subnet zero commnad in cisco ios .All books
i read
say (2 exp n - 1) .So i would answer no. I think part of the ietf spec say
(2 exp n - 1) .
I also wonder is other networking products support or have this feature .

> 2) Setting TFTP server for my lab which has two
> Linux'es, three NT's (PDC/BDC/WRK), and two routers
> 2500 & 4000, I still cannot make them run the commands
> copying tftp to NVRAM vice versa.  I use all Linux
> procedures as told in RedHat Secret textbook.  I
> modify /etc/inetd.conf, kill -HUD inetd process id,
> modify /etc/hosts.allow & deny.  May I have from you
> experts specific instructions on how to set up such
> TFTP server using RedHat Linux?

dude i don't know about the linux thing but I have used a win95 server or an
nt server
with ciscos free tftf software and it works like a charm

> 3) With only two routers and some machines (Linux,
> NT), can I set up some lab scenarios to practice RIP
> and IGRP?  Am I right saying no because with two
> routers, C (connected) would be the only outcome I can
> get when executing "sh ip route"?

You are wrong my friend. You can practice rip and igrp with no problems .The
only
route that will show as directly conected will be those that are .see the
followin example.

      e0---router1----serial----router2----e0
if you were to be running rip or igrp in this config the network and you did
show ip router from router1
the network on routers2 ethernet would show as learned via a routing
protocol
try it dude I sterted with two routers and did rip and all that stuff.