Janine

Perhaps we need to be a bit more specific about what you mean about
sending a config file over the console cable.  If you mean using
TFTP to send a file (copy tftp running-config kind of thing) then
you are correct, TFTP is not supported to the console port.
If you just mean being able to transfer a config file from a PC
hard drive to the router, then it certainly is possible.  Hyperterm
and the other terminal emulators support a text transfer function
which can be used to read the config file from the PC and send it
to the router via the console connection (you can also transfer the
config from the router to the PC by doing a show running-config with
capture text turned on in your emulator, or with Windows cut and paste
to select text and paste it to Notepad on the PC).

Rick

On Tue, 16 May 2000, Janine Williams wrote:

> Hi Peeps,
>
> I'm having a little discussion at work here and some
> of the Guy's seem to think that you can send a config
> file down a Console cable to a router.
>
> As far as i can remember, this is not possible, but
> can not remember the reason why.
>
> Can someone shed some light?
>
> thanks!!

Rick  Burts, CCSI   CCIE 4615        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Chesapeake Computer Consultants      410-280-8840  ex  3015
275 West Street                      410-280-8859  fax
Plaza 70
Annapolis, Md  21401

Chesapeake is a certified Cisco Training Partner and also
a Cisco Professional Services partner.
We offer most of the Cisco training courses.
We also offer training in Checkpoint Firewall software and
Fore Systems and NetScout.
We also provide network consulting services including
design, management, and problem solving.
We have 24 CCIEs on our staff.