It tells the router what to do at boot-up time.

The meanings of the config register -

Bit No. Hex             Meaning
00-03   0000 - 000F     Boot Field
        0000            Stay at bootstrap prompt
        0001            Boot system image on EPROM
        0002 - 000F     Specify default netboot filename -
                          cisco<n>-processor_name - where 2<n<15
6       0040            Ignore NVM Contents
7       0080            OEM bit enabled
8       0100            If set (default) a Break command forces
                        system into bootstrap monitor mode
10      0400            If cleared (default) all 1's equals broadcast,
                        if set all 0's are used for broadcasts
11-12   0800 - 1000     Console Line Speed - 9600 if not set
        0800            4800
        1000            1200
        1800            2400
13      2000            Boot default ROM software if network boot fails
14      4000            If set use the net address with broadcasts, if
                        cleared use all ones/zeros
15      8000            Enable dignostic messages and ignore NVM
                        contents

Bit 14  Bit 10  Broadcast Address
Off     Off     <Ones><Ones>
Off     On      <Zeros><Zeros>
On      On      <Net><Zeros>
On      Off     <Net><Ones>

So, 0x2102 =
      2 - Boot from ROM if network boot fails
      1 - Break command during boot puts router into ROMMON mode
     02 - Default file name for a net boot is cisco2-<processor_name>
             depending on what machine you have.