On Fri, 19 May 2000, Janine Williams wrote:

> Thanks for the response, but i think i need the make
> my questions a bit clearer.
>
> Question.  When a config is copied from a router  to
> TFTP server, what format is this file? (is it just
> *.txt ???)

It is a text file.  You can name it anything you want.  It defaults to
<hostname>-confg if I recall correctly.  Micros~1 is fussy about file
extensions so you may need to rename it <something>.txt to easily deal
with it in Notepad, etc.

> Now, suppose I'm physically connected to a newly
> out-of-the-box router via the light blue console cable
> and in a Hyperterminal session, say no to all the
> setup prompts.  Now suppose I have a config file on my
> PC that is the same format that it would be on the
> TFTP server.
>
> Is there a way that i can send this config file as a
> whole directly to NVRAM, or RAM, when connected via
> the console port?

1.  Escape out of the setup dialog with Control-C

2.  Type "enable" and hit enter.

3.  Type "config term" and hit enter.

4.  Start an ASCII file transfer of the file from your PC.

5.  Type "copy run start" or "write mem" when the file finishes loading.

> I read some people's responce about cut and pasting,
> can someone just explain how you do this, i haven't
> tried this yet.  Do you just cut and pastes the whole
> config or do it in stages?

Either way.  In chunks you can see any error messages that pop up if
something in your config makes the router unhappy or it doesn't parse
correctly.

> Do You Yahoo!?

Absolutely NOT !

--
Jay Hennigan  -  Network Administration  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  NASDAQ: NETX  -  http://www.netlojix.com/