On  0, "Taylor, Don" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> HDLC may be used between routers and routers, routers and mainframes, and
> mainframes and mainframes. It's all over the place; that's why it's a
> standard. It doesn't have to go over a WAN - it can be back to back - but it
> certainly can, though never over POTS. POTS stands for Plain Ol' Telephone
> Service, which is limited to 56K (and further limited to 53K in the U.S. by
> the FCC), so there's no way that higher bandwidth technologies can be used
> over it. Besides that, it's asynchronous, whereas the others you mentioned
> are not (well ATM kinda is...).
>
> POTS is a WAN technology, but it's not a protocol like PPP or SLIP. The only
> way a WAN protocol (other than async) would use POTS, that I can think of,
> is as a backup method.
>
> - Don

Thanks for replying. I will go to the more basic level of this question.

For PPP, ISDN, DSL type of WAN connections, you can use the analogue phone
lines at home. What about for Frame Relay, T1, T2 etc. type of lines? What
medium is used for these WAN connections? I was under the impression that it is
POTS (analogue lines) with specialized equipment.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
--

Oscar Rau
[EMAIL PROTECTED]