Well I think I saw this question a little bit ago. HDLC what doesn't use it?
I'll start with what I think I know about:

- Do WAN technologies such as Frame Relay, X.25, HDLC and ATM networks use
POTS?

Well these technologies are normally dedicated solutions so POTS is out for
them. I say normally because I know some WAN providers still use X.25 and
they run asynchronous dial into the POP on their internetwork which is sort
of an integration of POTS (local loop) and X.25.

- If HDLC is done between router to router, is it over WAN using POTS?

Well if memory serves me the lowest level of PPP is HDLC. So then most of
the time for remote access and asynchronous dial-up solutions the user will
dial up and use PPP as the WAN protocol across POTS. You could have a router
setup for dial on demand, to dial into an access server (router), using HDLC
in some way as the WAN protocol. This may be misconstruing things though
from your original question since the additional characteristics of PPP make
it different than just HDLC alone.

- Is HDLC via serial interface between router and mainframe?

I had thought that SDLC was used for Mainframe communication but I'm
probobaly out to lunch. hopefully someone else can help us out on this one.