Perhaps he's referring to an Arrowpoint content-aware web switch, which is
now a Cisco box.  :-)  (Resistance is Futile)

The Arrowpoint switches can do load balancing using such criteria as he
mentioned.  They are quite cool and they beat the heck out of anything Cisco
has.  Which explains why Cisco is buying the company!

Go to www.arrowpoint.com to see the future of Cisco web switches.  Now let's
just hope that Cisco doesn't screw up Arrowpoint's customer service
department.  They are truly amazing.

>  Deepak,
>
>  Where are you getting the information that you have listed about the
>  criteria that LD's use for load balancing?
>
>  I have worked with LD's as recently as 2 months ago and none of these
>  sorts of options were available. Unless something has changed, there is
>  no server software supplied by Cisco that could collect the information
>  you have listed and supply it to the LD.
>
>  A quick review on the cisco site of the latest LD docs state the same
>  options are available for load balancing that I remember:
>

>  fastest - tracks which server is servicing packets fastest based on
>  packet RTT
>
>  roundrobin - self-explanatory
>
>  leastconns - sends to server with the least amount of pending
>  connections
>
>  weighted - similar to RR but you can give some servers a higher
>  percentage of the load
>

>  Can you please provide a pointer to a reference that shows that the
>  options you list for load sharing are available on the LD's.
>
>  -Kent
>

>  Deepak ravindra wrote:
>  >
>  > Local director does load balancing based on
>  > -processor load,
>  > - memory load,
>  > -Web server /App load
>  > -I/O load
>  > and many other such parameters
>  >
>  > Its a  typical Layer 4 switching  which ensures high availablity - a
much
>  > needed feature for e-biz sites and N/Ws.
>  >
>  > Cheers
>  > Deepak
>  >
>  > "Dave Santeramo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>  > [EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > Does local director do simple round robin load balancing or can they
>  > > balance by processor load and/or disk load?
>  > >
>  > > thanks
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > To get your own FREE ZDNet Onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax,
>  > > all in one place - sign up today at http://www.zdnetonebox.com
>  > >
>  > > Report misconduct and Nondisclosure violations to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]